Right now (barring any flight delays), I am somewhere over the middle of the States, but thanks to the power of the internet, this week’s post is right on time. (Although we all know I’ve had my issues scheduling these posts — so fingers crossed!)
If you’ve been tuned in to the blogosphere these past few weeks, you would have already seen a flurry of pre-Dreamforce posts. And I know that a lot of them have been dedicated on what to bring to Dreamforce. Very handy, truly. But I’m here to share all the things that are important to leave at home. (Yeah, another bullet point list…)
- Three piece suit – Forget any company dress code that you have. The outfits are Dreamforce run the gamut – everything from jeans and hoodies to a suit and tie. But here’s the thing, unless you are there as a vendor, go for comfort over dressy. The days are long & you won’t want to be focused on when you get to escape the constraints of your suit.
- A ball gown – On the same note, I want to comment on the ‘gala’ event. Yes, that’s what it’s called, but don’t think of it as a formal event. It’s definitely more of a loud concert-club vibe in there, so take that time to unwind & have fun.
- The wrong attitude – By this I mean a few different things. Don’t be an elitist who is too cool to talk to anyone else, but also don’t be so shy that you don’t introduce yourself to the people around you. In my past 4 Dreamforces (Dreamforci?), I have never met someone who wasn’t willing to talk & share their experiences with Salesforce. Don’t discredit your skills if this is your first Dreamforce & don’t think your the coolest kid in class if it’s your 8th. This community is is a huge part of what makes this company so amazing, so remember to engage, engage, engage!
- A laptop – OK, bring your laptop. I am. But leave it in your hotel room! You do not want to be lugging that thing around all day, I promise you that. And as long as you have your trusty smartphone, you’ll be fine! They even up’ed the spend on WiFi again this year, so hopefully we’ll be able to tweet to our hearts’ content.
- Your daily bag – Your laptop bag or whatever bag you lug to work every day – forget it. One of the best parts of Dreamforce is the swag you get, and the Dreamforce bag is my favorite part. They are usually high-quality bags that you *will* want to use, so no need to lug an extra along with you.
- Those cute new 4″ heels – Yes, it’s been said before, but please…leave your uncomfortable shoes at home.
So pack your bags, watch out for Irene & meet me in San Francisco! Find me at the Community Conference to grab some free swag from yours truly!!